Wednesday, 23 September 2015 00:00

London Design Festival, day 3: Couch surfing

On our third day at LDF, we considered the indispensability of sofas, the prospects of Brazilian mid-century design and a very exclusive bucket

Published in Comment
Wednesday, 01 April 2015 01:00

Glider sofa by Ron Arad

The final version of this sofa for Moroso, launching at Milan Furniture Fair next month, has smooth lines and a soft, plump shape

Published in News
Friday, 18 July 2014 10:06

Creative talks at Sketch

Sketch, London
Until 26 October

Published in Diary
Monday, 23 June 2014 17:03

Ron Arad: Last Train

For an exhibition at his London studio, the the Israel-born, UK-based designer has turned a chance observation and an idle pastime into an artwork – or is it a process?

Published in News
Friday, 23 May 2014 17:00

Ron Arad at Clerkenwell Design Week

Debika Ray met the celebrated designer and architect at CDW as he popped into the Vitra showroom to judge the Tailor My Tom Vac competition. Watch the video here

Published in News

To celebrate 15 years of Ron Arad's Tom Vac chair, Vitra and Icon are giving one away – signed by the designer himself

Published in News
Wednesday, 21 May 2014 23:32

CDW 2014: Icon meets Ron Arad

The design legend on his 15-year-old Tom Vac chair, clients woes and his approach to his work

Published in Video
Monday, 19 May 2014 11:20

Pipe dreams: Battersea Power Station

Battersea Power Station, derelict for more than 30 years, has been called a graveyard of architectural visions. Christopher Turner visits the practices responsible for some of these fantastical, unrealised schemes – by John Outram, Nicholas Grimshaw, Ron Arad and Terry Farrell – and talks to Wilkinson Eyre about its latest ideas

Published in Features
Thursday, 06 March 2014 16:25

Icon 130: Unmade

In this issue we asked architects and designers to share the projects that never made it off the drawing board. We also look at the many schemes that have been proposed for Battersea Power Station. We revisit Frei Otto’s 1970 plan for a domed city in the Arctic, and there’s a short history of vapourware – computer products that were prototyped and hyped, but never went into production.

Published in NEWS
Thursday, 04 July 2013 17:00

122: Future 50

For this issue we asked a dozen experts to nominate those architects and designers that they thought were shaping the future. We didn’t want our list of 50 names to watch to be hierarchical, with definitive pretensions, but rather a snapshot of the ways in which a new generation is pushing the boundaries of its practice. We spoke to the nominees about what they thought were the challenges and opportunities facing their profession, and the things that inspired them.

Published in NEWS
Monday, 21 December 2009 13:50

Zaha Hadid's Maxxi

Is speed an essential quality of the 21st-century museum? If the architect’s job is to oil the wheels of the culture industry, then perhaps it is. With Tate Modern getting 4 million visitors a year, you need to drive the culture-hungry through the pens quickly. But the museum is not traditionally a place of swift passage, it’s one of thoughtful wandering and edifying pauses

Published in Features
Thursday, 17 December 2009 20:10

Enzo Mari

Design's angry lion sets the world to rights.

Published in Features
Thursday, 17 December 2009 15:59

Railway station by Santiago Calatrava

With biomimicry and incessant repetition of structural elements the Liège-Guillemins TGV station is trademark Santiago Calatrava. A sweeping roof of massive span rakes out over the surroundings, making this a deeply impressive building.

Published in News
Wednesday, 25 November 2009 14:57

Ron Arad and Santiago Calatrava in Liège

A depressed Belgian city attempts to turn around its fortunes with a sprinkling of architectural stardust.
Published in NEWS

This is our list of the people in architecture and design who we feel are shaping the future

Published in Features
Saturday, 24 March 2007 06:47

Ron Arad on London

Ron Arad I came to London in ’73. I’d spent a year at art school in Tel Aviv and I needed a break. I didn’t even pack my LPs – they were very important to me. So I came to London for a break – and I’m still on my break.

Published in Features
Friday, 23 March 2007 10:11

Nadja Swarovski | icon 024 | June 2005

Nadja Swarovski is still in touch with the tacky side of the crystal manufacturing company that bears her name. “My favourite when I was a child was this flower. Oh my god! I couldn’t get enough of it!” she says, showing me a drawer full of tiny crystal flower heads taken from a cupboard of her central London office.
Published in ICON 024 | June 2005