The circular Großmarkt Theatre Pavilion is designed to accompany a large-scale theatre inside Hamburg’s modernist market hall
London-based architecture practice Carmody Groarke has designed a circular aluminium pavilion next to Hamburg’s Großmarkt that provides event and hospitality space for a theatre located within the adjacent market hall.
A large-scale modernist structure with a wave-like roofline, the market hall was designed by German architect Bernhard Hermkes and built 1958–1960. Although home to one of Germany’s busiest fresh produce markets, operating 24 hours a day, it has also since 2015 accommodated the large concert and performance venue Mehr! Theater.
Situated in the market’s car park, Carmody Groarke’s temporary pavilion lies low to retain sightlines to the listed modernist market hall – and covers 1,527 sq m. It provides ticketing and refreshment facilities – for the audience to retreat to during intervals, for instance – as well as functioning as a flexible special event space.
A perimeter canopy above an elevated walkway enables sheltered queuing for tickets. Inside, a square-shaped space is topped by a radial cross-laminated timber (CLT) frame. Using CLT – a highly sustainable material – also ensured the construction could be started off-site and completed rapidly.
Inside, the timber frame has a black lacquered finish – contrasting with a deep red floor – while the exterior of the pavilion is clad in corrugated aluminium, which subtly reflects the activity of the surrounding market. At the centre of the pavilion, a circular courtyard for the visitors passively ventilates the building and brings light into the space.
Photography by Johan Dehlin